This is the Lords doing and it is marvelous in our eyes. Mark 12:11

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Each time I read Gideon's story, I would wonder how this guy wasn't struck down by lightning. To question God, to test him...repeatedly?

I thought that God's patience with his would-be warrior had to do with Joash's words in the preceding verses, when Joash defended his sons destruction of the Baal alter and Asherah pole by saying "if Baal is offended by this, then let him defend himself." And so I wondered if God was showing he was the true God by his constant proofs.

As I read the chapter for the third time these past few days, trying to figure out why God was so patient with Gideon, I began to realize that God is patient everyone. How many times have I asked God to wait 'til I came back, or asked him to prove himself to me? No, I never prepared a meal for him nor did I throw a blanket out on the lawn and ask Jesus to perform meteorlogical tricks. But I've done other stuff... So I ought to wonder why God is so patient.

"It is not God's will that any man should die, but that all men should have eternal life,", and it is that very patience God has with us that means our salvation. And so should strive to holiness; and, as with Gideon, God will be patient until then. Giving us things like great cars and jobs and homes, even pets, until we realize we can trust him to come through for us, and not just with the trivial things.

No comments:

Post a Comment